In the CIS, all QA engineers are traditionally called testers. This is not entirely correct, since testing is only part of quality control. Therefore, if we conditionally divide the testing segment, it will include quality control, quality assurance and direct consumer testing. This is done by https://u-tor.com/services/user-acceptance-testing.
The job of a QA engineer is not only to check the quality but also to control the correct execution of all work cycles and the correct functioning of the assembled solution. If the tester checks the finished product, then the QA engineer controls the established standards, interacts with the development team and prevents the recurrence of errors. At the same time, in our country, the tasks of a tester and a QA specialist are perceived as the same type.
If we detail the functional responsibilities of a QA specialist, then the scope of the employee’s competence includes the following tasks:
• Collection of requirements for the software product.
• Calculation of the terms required for the development of the application and the completion of all components, taking into account the changes.
• Scenario formulation and control of the testing process.
• Fixing detected bugs and systematizing information to develop further recommendations.
• Development of a testing strategy together with members of the working team.
• Managing the process of editing and making changes.
• Optimization of testing work cycles to minimize the repetition of errors when the program runs under different program conditions.
In different agencies, the duties of a QA engineer differ significantly, as somewhere more planning will be required, and in some cases a qualitative analysis will be required. Accordingly, in each particular situation, the working time of the AQ specialist will be filled with different tasks, but in any case, the quality control specialist is closely in contact with testing and controls the quality of the final product.
Why is testing necessary?
Applications without bugs practically do not exist: any program can generate errors when the software environment changes. In most cases, the tester simply does not notice minor defects that pop up as a result of using the product in real conditions. There are system errors, as a result of which the application simply stops working, and there are minor bugs that just few people notice.
Before an application, program or web resource gets to the user, it needs to be scanned in detail for errors. The tester looks for weaknesses in the code, where the program may fail when the load changes. In this case, a specialist can apply various scenarios, settings, change program conditions or simulate atypical situations. Ultimately, fixing bugs in the initial stages is much cheaper than when the product gets into the hands of the target user. As practice shows, the consumer has a negative attitude towards the application with which other users have problems.
How is testing carried out?
As a rule, testing is performed at the final stages of the project and includes the implementation of certain stages:
• Approval of the action plan. A document that describes the testing work cycles, the order and sequence of stages.
• Script development. When using automated systems, the script is created once as a template, which can then be applied to various fragments of the program.
• Definition of methodology. To date, various testing methods are used, based on the complexity of the business task, the subject and features of the software product.
After testing, all results and errors are recorded in the event log and transferred to the study of the working team. After bug fixes and improvements, the product enters the mass market. Professional managed software testing services play a very important role in this process.
QA engineers have different specializations: big data testers, manual testers, script developers, data analysts, and many others.
If the project is large-scale, a group of specialists works on it: some engineers develop tests, others prepare the software environment, and others control the testing process. In small projects, one QA engineer can work, even in a remote format.