The time today is witnessing the growth of cloud computing. Many people will agree that cloud technology is the next big thing in new startups and enterprise technology. Cloud computing’s market size is expected to grow from USD 371.4 billion in 2020 to USD 832.1 billion by 2025. During the forecast period, it is expected to grow at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of around 17.5%. IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) secures the highest growth rate in 2020 due to data center consolidation. SaaS (Software as a Service) will remain the largest market player, which is expected to grow to $116 billion next year due to the scalability of subscription-based software.
To put it in perspective on how fast it’s accelerating, cloud computing is growing seven times faster than overall IT spending growth according to IDC. Market giants like AWS and Microsoft also demonstrate that cloud services are growing and most importantly, profitable. It has become a game-changer for any size of business. Many forms of cloud computing are in the top three areas where most global CIOs are willing to increase their investment. With the growing importance of cloud computing, many companies are opting for the cloud and some are migrating everything to the cloud.
One of the key players of this cloud computing market is AWS. If you are embarking on a career in cloud computing, it is inevitable to learn about AWS. Let us know what AWS is all about and how to prepare for an AWS certification.
What Is AWS?
AWS stands for Amazon Web Services, it is the world’s widely adopted and most comprehensive cloud platform. It offers more than 175 fully-featured cloud services from data centers globally. It offers scalable, reliable, and inexpensive computing services for pay only on what you use the model. AWS is free to join so anyone can access technology services such as storage, computing power, and databases. Millions of customers, largest enterprises, growing startups, and leading government agencies are adopting AWS to innovate faster, reduce costs, and become more agile.
AWS has become an essential cloud computing technology that offers flexible services such as:
Amazon S3- It is used for internet backup having the cheapest storage option in the object-storage category. This tool helps to retrieve stored data from almost anywhere and whenever it’s needed.
AWS Data Transfer Products- These are data transfer, data collection, and migration products, that enable users to monitor and analyze data in real-time.
Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud)- This service is designed to make cloud computing more accessible. It provides a resizable and secure computing capacity.
Amazon KMS (Key Management System)- This tool is used to secure your data from hackers and cyber attackers, using security tool 256-bit encryption.
Amazon Lamba- It is a low-cost service that runs your code depending on your events and manages the dependent resources.
Amazon SNS (Simple Notification Services)- This notification tool is used for delivering messages to a large number of subscribers via SMS or email. It is also used to send alarms, service notification, and other messages.
Route 53- It is a DNS service in the cloud, designed to provide organizations with a cost-effective and reliable method to route users to internet applications.
AWS is developed with infrastructure including IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service), PaaS (Platform as a Service), and SaaS (Software As a Service) offerings. It offers a wide range of global-cloud based products that include databases, storage, networking, analytics, development tools, mobile, enterprise applications, with a pay-as-you-go model.
Top AWS Certifications
Getting AWS certification means having some of the most in-demand skills as validated by the most recognizable entities in cloud computing. AWS offers 12 certifications that are categorized in different levels such as a foundational certification, three associate-level certifications, two professional-level certifications, and six specialty certifications. Below mentioned are the names of AWS certifications.
AWS FOUNDATIONAL LEVEL CERTIFICATION
- AWS Cloud Practitioner – Foundational- This certification offers a basic understanding of AWS and services.
AWS ASSOCIATE LEVEL CERTIFICATIONS
- AWS Solutions Architect – Associate- This certification exam is designed for candidates who are having some experience in designing distributed applications. It covers topics such as Network technologies, Building applications, Deploying a hybrid system, etc. It also helps to design, manage, and implement applications.
Others include AWS SysOps Administrator – Associate and AWS Certified Developer – Associate.
AWS PROFESSIONAL LEVEL CERTIFICATIONS
- AWS Solutions Architect – Professional- This certification exam is designed to evaluate an organization’s requirements and make architectural recommendations for creating and deploying applications in AWS. It requires a high degree of technical skills and experience.
The other certification in this category includes AWS DevOps Engineer – Professional.
AWS SPECIALTY CERTIFICATIONS
- Advanced Networking – Specialty- It validates a candidate’s experience and skills in performing complex networking tasks on hybrid IT networking architecture and AWS. It teaches about designing, developing, and deploying cloud solutions with AWS.
The other certifications in this category include Security – Specialty, Big Data – Specialty, and Machine Learning – Specialty.
How To Become an AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate?
AWS Certified Solution Architect Associate certification exam validates your technical skills and expertise with credentials and helps to grow your career. It is intended for candidates who perform a solution architect role and have hands-on experience designing available, fault-tolerant, cost-efficient, and scalable distributed systems.
Abilities Validated by the Certification
- This certification demonstrates knowledge of how to create and deploy, secure and robust applications on the AWS platform.
- It provides implementation guidance to the organization throughout the project.
- It gives solutions using architectural design principles based on customers’ requirements.
Recommended Knowledge and Experience
To become an AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate, the candidate must have the following terms related to the certification.
- Hands-on experience with management services and AWS deployment.
- Hands-on experience using networking, compute, storage, and database AWS services.
- Ability to find and define technical requirements and solutions for an AWS-based application.
- Knowledge of the basic architectural principles of building on the AWS Cloud.
- An understanding of the AWS global infrastructure.
- Knowledge of network technologies related to AWS.
- An understanding of the basic architectural principles of creating applications on the AWS cloud.
- Deep knowledge of tools and security features that AWS provides.
Preparation Of Exams
Hands-on experience is the best way to prepare for certification exams. There are several relevant and advanced training courses and other resources that assist with acquiring additional skills and knowledge to prepare for certification. Candidates must review the exam guide for information about the competencies assessed on the certification exam. It is also a must to get practical tips and tutorials for better preparation.