It is quite amazing to see how technology has shaped the world around us. From a cycle to a spaceship; from a landline phone to touch screen mobiles, it changed the way we look at the future and what we understand about the science behind it. Technology has streamlined the business processes and has enabled even a small business enterprise to perform their task smoothly and better than before, giving rise to a lot of startups revolving around tech.
Human resource is one of such departments that had perhaps never foreseen how technology would revolutionize this specific industry. Traditionally speaking, HR has always been seen as a paper-centric department whose only task is to hire employees based on the job description provided to them, firing them, and organizing team-building sessions. What people don’t know is that they also face challenges like doing effective talent management, engaging employees, employee retention, etc. This sparked the innovation in HR leaders to come up with technology not only to reduce paperwork but also to remove task-related barriers, performance issues, and management barriers among employees.
Let us Look Into How Technology is Changing Employee Management:
- Communication: Technology has changed the way we communicate in the workplace with the arrival of smartphone communication between teams, clients, vendors, and customers. You can send text messages and email them and now that everyone is working from home, apps like zoom have made it easier for teams to communicate and attend meetings.
- Time and attendance management: It is easy to assign shifts and manage leaves with the help of attendance software. This software empowers HR managers to create attendance and leave policies for the entire organization and manage several shifts for the employees without any confusion. This tech simplifies the org structure, helps employees manage their attendance, and apply for leave and to know whom to report to. And with the current situation, it has made it easier to clock-in from home while giving details of the planned activity for the day.
- Performance management: With the right tech, it has become easier to conduct continuous feedback, set up goals across different bands, roles, grades, and be able to manage the performance cycle easily. It enables managers to easily track employee progress during every stage of project completion and offer immediate reinforcement or feedback to keep performance and deadlines on track.
- Help to manage cost: The ultimate goal of an organization is to earn a profit. Due to the availability of automation software, companies are now becoming financially sound as these innovations help automate manual tasks and are also cost-effective. Every organization has a dedicated team to perform a specific task, which needlessly increases the cost of maintaining this team and increases the overall cost of operation. With the availability of SaaS-based tools, you can manage this cost very effectively.
SaaS-based tools eliminate the need for manual tasks by automating all the necessary tasks wherever possible so that the organization can focus on other important tasks. Not only that, but this tool also gives accurate results, and helps in recordkeeping of every date and time mentioned. This way, they are easy to install for any business size, whether small or big.
- Online learning and training: One of the most used online platforms is an online learning and training portal which is delivering training and assessments covering a wide range of subjects across different channels. In some industries, regular training is provided to its employees to stay ahead of the competition. These portals have made training so smooth that by allowing employees to complete their courses online at their own pace, employers can avoid taking out entire teams from production, and prevents loss of productive hours. This helps maintain the overall productivity of organizations.
Assessments can also be completed online, and results can be recorded, analyzed, and distributed in the form of certificates. This way, the company can identify the areas of improvement, and the further training needs of individual employees.
- Payroll Management: For an organization with a diverse workforce, it becomes even more important to have a payroll system that can be mapped with the current attendance management and can fit the pay structures of an organization. With the new payroll software, it has become easier to process complex payroll structure across different entities and departments. This software provides an audit trail for every iteration, provides clarity and transparency of the process. This software can handle administration to execution and have IT declaration on one single platform.
- Reducing Security risk: It was easier to steal information and essential data earlier in the past, but now all the tech comes with a high level of encryption that reduces the risk of data thefts and leaks. HR Tech comes with proper security measures that help in keeping employee information and relevant data safe with all the information accessible to admins only.
It has also become easier to monitor the employee’s online communication and activities on their office desktop to ensure that they don’t get involved in any practice which is against the interest of the company.
- Wearables: Wearable devices are equipped with sensors focused mainly on health and fitness, but these devices are also used to track workplace wellness. Stress management and monitoring have become the new norm of the organization, especially in environments where it impacts retention. But apart from health, wearable devices are also enhancing other areas of productivity and employee engagement.
- Outsourcing: Most of the time, companies outsource their work to outside contractors and subcontractors, which is why collaboration is essential. You need to know the timescales and project deadlines, and you might also need to deliver essential information, training, and assessment from time to time. Instead of calling the office phone to ask the manager to get in touch with each individual, setting up a shared workspace has proved effective in collaborating between parties. With the help of technology, one can drive various contacts, meetings without any risk, and also efficiently.
With the rapidly evolving tech in the 21st century, the field of HRhas become technologically more advanced, giving room for innovators to come up with new tech, new ideas, and the chance to redevelop and innovate the workplace and employee experience. It will be a matter of time when people management will be one of those areas which will change how we look at technology.